How this whole-spine therapy can improve socialisation and the
health of Children with ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia and Autism.
If you are the parent of a child with a disorder such as Autism, ADHD or Dyslexia, then you know how tough it can be to help your young one live a normal life. Whether your child struggles socially, emotionally or in some other way, chances are he/she feels isolated at times from the other children at school. This can result in a build-up of stress, anger and sadness and all of which only serve to worsen the symptoms of his/her disorder.
The good news is that there is a safe and effective way to help your child cope with their issues no matter what they may be. It’s called Craniosacral Therapy (CST) and this gentle non-intrusive therapy as techniques that encourages the body to correct its own restrictions through the Central Nervous System. Although every child will benefit differently from receiving Craniosacral Therapy here are a few examples of the ways in which it may assist children with special needs:
- CST may ease the tension patterns of children on the autism spectrum and help them feel more comfortable, safe and aware of the world around them.
- CST may aid children with ADHD by easing tension and building up feelings of safety. The ADHD child's brain can retain information quickly. When they relax, they get a break from this cataloguing information. It may also help with the hyperactivity by helping the child to relax.
- Children who have dyslexia and dysgraphia usually have very quick, sharp minds, but they may have difficulty demonstrating what they know. CST has been known to reduce tension in the muscles, ligaments and tendons in the arms and hands, which makes the process of writing easier. Dyslexia children often have difficulty processing visual and auditory information, Craniosacral Therapy can reduce the tension patterns around the eyes and ears, so all areas of the brain that process language will function better.
- CST relieves stress or anxiety and restore a sense of calm to children dealing with mood swings.
- CST has been known to work with the negative emotions and the stress these children may feel about being different from their peers. It can help them feel safe within themselves and their surrounding.
Craniosacral Therapy is a very gentle, non-invasive therapy, based on principles of Osteopathic Medicine. The body is a self-correcting mechanism always seeking to return to balance and structure. When we address the areas that are restricting physical structures then we are able to improve their ability to function in a more efficient manner. Although there are no guarantees for outcomes and each situation is different Craniosacral Therapy has many benefits for children with various types of diagnoses and challenges. As you can see, the benefits of Craniosacral Therapy are suitable for children of all ages. Plus, this type of therapy can be just as effective in helping parents and family members to distress.
John E. Upledger, D.O., OM.M.
“Craniosacral Therapy is a gentle, hands on method of enhancing the flow of cerebrospinal fluid, blood and lymph. Thus, it facilitates the body's natural healing. It's positive effects are most apparent in the brain and spinal cord, the immune and hormonal systems, and in the alleviation of chronic dysfunction and pain."